Friday, March 12, 2010

Russel Bakers, from Growing Up

I kind of liked this story. It shows hope. It shows that even in the worst of times economically, life can still be good. As long as you have your family and people who care things will be ok. I thought it was sweet that the little boy, who probably didn't care too much that they were going on relief, saw how it affected his mother and decided to put his coat over the embarassing food just to make his mom feel better. This story reminds me of all the old movies i've seen about the great depression or immigrants. Back when kids were sweet and innocent. I think the author just did a great job with the descriptions. I could picture pretty much every part of the story in my head. I even started smiling reading the part about the boy practicing acting suprised in his room. I could relate to him when he accidently found his bike in his moms room, how bad he felt. I remember my mom used to always hide our christmas presents in the back of her closet in her room and around christmas time when nobody else was home i would go look through the closet guessing which ones were for me then i'd have to act super excited on christmas day when i opened them.

No comments:

Post a Comment